Ten years ago at this time, I sat in the same chair, in the same room, taking in the same view. I was typing the same type of letter to a group of parents. It was my first year as a teacher and I had no idea what was in store for me a decade later.
A veteran teacher once gave me an analogy of teaching and time spent as a teacher. She told me that teaching is like watching a parade. The difference between new teachers and seasoned teachers is the perspective they have. New teachers watch the parade from the street, standing in front of a tall building, seeing each “float” (student, lesson, etc) as it passes. As the teacher spends time in the classroom year after year, they watch the parade from different “floors” of a building. A seasoned teacher watches the parade from the roof. A seasoned teacher can see the parade from beginning to end, watches all of the “floats”, and sees where they came from and where they are going…an overall, encompassing view if you will.
This year was first time I felt that I watched the “parade” from the roof.
Nine-months ago I sat with your children. We laughed on the first day. I saw their true selves on that very first day for they were comfortable where they were. I was too. From that day on we kept the humor alive. Not only that, we kept the learning alive. We learned about reading, writing, and arithmetic; we also learned about ourselves.
This group was an incredible mixture of free-spirited people with natural leadership qualities and strong personalities. Each one of them began this year as individuals…basically looking out for themselves. A trait that I admired. They learned, however, ways to work together as a team, as a group of people with a common goal…I admire that even more.
It was amazing to witness how the many personalities, so many of them alike, found their way in the classroom. Each of them allowing the others to have their “time in the sun”. The strength of their personalities could have created an atmosphere that would not have been conducive to learning and getting along---the opposite happened. They let each other have room yet relied on each other for guidance and support.
Watching their parade from the roof-top was truly a pleasure to behold…I saw them as they began their journey…I watched them as they supported each other during hard times in the journey…I watched them as they celebrated their journey—learning, playing, and caring for one another.
A veteran teacher once gave me an analogy of teaching and time spent as a teacher. She told me that teaching is like watching a parade. The difference between new teachers and seasoned teachers is the perspective they have. New teachers watch the parade from the street, standing in front of a tall building, seeing each “float” (student, lesson, etc) as it passes. As the teacher spends time in the classroom year after year, they watch the parade from different “floors” of a building. A seasoned teacher watches the parade from the roof. A seasoned teacher can see the parade from beginning to end, watches all of the “floats”, and sees where they came from and where they are going…an overall, encompassing view if you will.
This year was first time I felt that I watched the “parade” from the roof.
Nine-months ago I sat with your children. We laughed on the first day. I saw their true selves on that very first day for they were comfortable where they were. I was too. From that day on we kept the humor alive. Not only that, we kept the learning alive. We learned about reading, writing, and arithmetic; we also learned about ourselves.
This group was an incredible mixture of free-spirited people with natural leadership qualities and strong personalities. Each one of them began this year as individuals…basically looking out for themselves. A trait that I admired. They learned, however, ways to work together as a team, as a group of people with a common goal…I admire that even more.
It was amazing to witness how the many personalities, so many of them alike, found their way in the classroom. Each of them allowing the others to have their “time in the sun”. The strength of their personalities could have created an atmosphere that would not have been conducive to learning and getting along---the opposite happened. They let each other have room yet relied on each other for guidance and support.
Watching their parade from the roof-top was truly a pleasure to behold…I saw them as they began their journey…I watched them as they supported each other during hard times in the journey…I watched them as they celebrated their journey—learning, playing, and caring for one another.
Mr. Casten
June 3, 2011
Copyrighted material of Michael C. Casten
Comments
Post a Comment