The fourth grade began their "Type to Learn" program this week. It's a five-week web-based typing program. They love it.
I watch them as they complete their 15 minute session every morning and it takes me back to my Junior High School days when I sat at a desk in Mrs. Lamplot's room with the old-school typewriter listening to her say, "a, a, a, space, l, l, l," and on and on she would go. We would type everything she said and have to turn in the paper at the end of the lesson.
Not these days. These days the programs are rich with inviting graphics, delightful sounds, and exciting challenges. The program keeps the students interested and engaged while teaching them the basics of typing. They are practicing a skill that will serve them well in the future.
Teaching is much different these days...even from when I started a mere 11 years ago. Not only is teaching different but the way kids learn these days is different. They are in tune with technology that allows them access to a whole world of information. They understand how to navigate websites, programs, and files.
As quickly as technology changes, so too will their appetite for it. They will become immersed in the social networking websites, required to submit online applications for school and employment, have meetings virtually, and conduct business through cyberspace across the street, the town, the state, the country and the world.
iPods, iPads, Windows, Macs, iPhones, Kindles, and more. The language of learning is changing; the language of the world is changing. It has been for a while now.
My students now are just beginning to incorporate the technological advances into their lives, their learning, and their way of life...they will continue to do so at an astronomical rate...are we ready for them?
I hope, that as their teacher, I can provide them with the best technological experiences that I have at my disposal. I am fortunate to work in a district that has the direction and means to supply their students and teachers with technology.
I watch my students on the computer and I am impressed with how well they interact and show respect for the medium. I am looking forward to the years to come with more technology and more students.
Mr. Casten
Feb. 2, 2012
Copyrighted material of Michael C. Casten
Comments
Post a Comment