Every morning I sit outside my
classroom and greet each student. We exchange "good mornings" and they
tell me what they are doing for lunch. It's a nice time of day because I
get to see each one of my students and connect with them, if only for a
moment. The day quickly gets itself into motion and the whirlwind of
learning commences.
That
initial connection in the morning is the spark that sets the tone of our
day. It brings to light the humanness in us all; kids are people too
and so are teachers. As we get to know one another we find out more and
more about each other. I have the privilege of learning about 21
individuals...each with their own dreams and fears, talents and skills,
highs and lows. Each one of them comes to me day after day with a host
of experiences from their lives; as do I to them. Each one of them
comes to me with a sense of self that has been in the works for the past
9-10 years; mine spans 45. When they approach me in the morning I get
to look into their eyes for a brief moment and much of the time I can
see what lies behind them. Some days they are tired, others they are
full of life. Some days they are sad, other days they are bursting with
excitement. Some days they are confused, on others they have a command
of their day.
As we cruise
through our day we exchange interactions on many levels. We talk, we
laugh, and sometimes cry. We help one another with school work and life
work. It's a dance that we do...at times letting the other lead; at
times following the other.
The
"good mornings" set the tone for the day. They help direct our
energies to the time directly ahead of us which is full of life.
Mr. Casten
Oct. 19, 2012
Comments
Post a Comment