When the school year started I was assigned 28 students. I put together my class lists, arranged the desks and other furniture in the classroom to accommodate so many. I made sure I had enough books, storage areas, and other daily items we would need to have a successful year. I then took some time to prepare myself. I knew that 28 children in a classroom would be a lot. I knew, also, that as the teacher I cannot allow the number of students I have to determine how the year will proceed and progress. Housing 28 kids in one classroom for 6.5 hours per day, 5 days a week would prove to be quite the experience. I prepared myself to take on the challenge that this would naturally present. I reached back to the days before I was a teacher, when I was a Daycare Supervisor/Program Coordinator for a before-and-after school program as well as the summer program for Hephzibah Children's Association of Oak Park, IL. I had been in charge of more than 28 children at a time then, often times upwards of 40 or 50 (with staff help of course). I reached back to those days and pulled from the experiences I had, coupled them with the past 11 years as a teacher, and began to develop how I was going to approach this upcoming year. In the end (or so I thought it was the end) I felt confident that having 28 kids would be great.
Days before school was to begin the district hired a 5th teacher for our 4th grade and just like that, my 28 kids turned into 21. I had to quickly adjust the physical space, the lists, and the mental preparations I had worked out. The year began and all is well.
I do, however, sit in contemplation of what it would have been like to have the original 28 kids. Many of those kids who were taken from my class and assigned to the new teacher's class come to me for Math. I am still getting an opportunity to get to know them, to teach them, and to enjoy being around them. Sometimes, in the morning, some of them will come to me and pretend to be on my attendance list; I play along and we have a good chuckle.
We are a fortunate district to be able to have hired a teacher (a good teacher I might add) when we needed one. We are a fortunate school to have the supports in place to welcome new staff and help each other when needed. I am a fortunate teacher to be surrounded by so many kids that truly like to be here. The kids are fortunate to have family and community that stands behind them all the way.
In the end (and now it is the end) I was graced with 21 students. An ideal number for any teacher. I can spend more time with each individual student. Our space is less confining and we can actually breathe! The resources we have are plentiful in the classroom.
I do wonder, upon spending tidbits of time with those kids who were once supposed to be my students and were moved, what might have been.
I'm sure it would have been wonderful...
Mr. Casten
Nov. 16, 2012
Copyrighted material of Michael C. Casten
Comments
Post a Comment