The kids are writing right now. They
are taking their Unit 3 writing test. As I look up I see a sea of
pencils moving back and forth, people adjusting themselves in their
chairs. Some kids are deep in thought only to quickly jot down those
thoughts. I see kids "mouthing" the words they are writing, then
turning their pencils over to erase something that doesn't seem right.
Every so often one of them gets up to sharpen a pencil. Occasionally
they will stretch, take a bite of their snack, or a drink of their water
bottle. At times, they will get e fresh piece of paper as they have
much to say with this prompt.
The
room is quiet. The tapping of my computer keys as I write this
reflection is one of the only sounds that float across the room. The
sliding of a chair every so often accompanies it. The familiar sound of
pencils scritch-scratching along the paper provides a soothing hum for
the room. Heads are scratched, necks are craned in a stretch, and feet
tap to some internal rhythm of the writer. With some irregularity
students will find their way to the shelf that contains the Thesaurus
and take one...searching for that "perfect" word.
I
enjoy reading their writing as they have shown themselves to be
creative in their approaches. It's not easy taking an expository prompt
and turning it into a piece that is both enjoyable to read as well as
informative, yet this group seems to take the challenge and run with it.
Mr. Casten
Dec. 7, 2012
Copyrighted material of Michael C. Casten
Comments
Post a Comment