Skip to main content

Madagascar Lost?


One of the advantages of teaching the same grade level for an 

extended period of time (12 years and counting in my case) is that 

one learns what works with kids and what doesn't.  One learns the 

likely outcomes of certain practices.  One learns how to avoid 

common pitfalls in lessons and projects which allows for maximum 

learning opportunities for students.


Science is a favorite subject among many students.  It is interesting,

dynamic, and lends itself well to a variety of learning styles.  We 

read, discuss, watch videos, create projects, and perform 

experiments.  We allow the verbal, visual, auditory, and kinesthetic 

learner to experience the concepts...each receiving the information

suited to them.


Currently we are studying the "Changing Earth".  The unit began

exploring the different layers of the earth; their composition, 

temperature, and "thickness".  Videos, discussions, and a project 

were all part of the lessons.  From there we moved on to the 

concept of "Plate Tectonics" and more specifically, "Pangaea".



Pangaea is the scientific theory that all of the current-day 

continents were once one huge super-continent.  Over time 

continental drift, a result of plate tectonics (plate movement under 

the earth's crust), caused the super-continent to "break apart" and 

the separate land masses slowly but surely moved away from one 

another...leading to the current configuration of our continents 

today.  To this day the continents continue to drift.



After discussing this idea and watching a video we embarked on the 

project associated with the lesson.  Students were given outlines of 

the continents as they existed some 225 million years ago.  Based 

on plant & animal fossil evidence and the fact that the continents 

"fit together" like a puzzle, students were to color the continents 

accordingly, cut them out, and paste them to a blue sheet of 

construction paper (which represents the one ocean known as 

"Panthalassa") in the configuration that would best represent 

Pangaea as it may have looked millions of years in the past.



One of the "puzzle pieces" is the little tiny island of Madagascar.  It 

broke away from the African Continent as a result of continental 

drift.  The piece that students need to color for Madagascar is about 

1 inch in length and maybe 2 cm wide...quite small when compared 

to the other continents they have to color.



Every year, since I started teaching, at least one student (often 

more) would lose their little Madagascar after they had colored it 

and cut it out.  Every year we would search the floor, the recycling 

bin, the garbage, high and low.  Every year we would fail to find the 

little critter and the student would have to improvise and make one.



This year, I told the story of the "Lost Madagascar" and challenged 

this group to see if they could ALL keep their little Madagascar.  

The project commenced and lasted much of the day.  Paper was all 

over the place as cutting was rampant.  Glue and glue sticks were 

on desks, the floor, tables, and bookshelves throughout the room.  

Chatter filled the air as the worked was underway.  Little plastic 

baggies were utilized to help keep the continent pieces from being 

lost.  


It was close.  One student thought they lost their little Madagscar 

but it was recovered.  The project ended by 3:00 pm and everyone 

finished.  I hung them in the hallway.  



This morning I checked over them.  I specifically looked for each 

person's little Madagascar.


They had done it.  Every student had their little Madagscar on their 

project, connected to the African Continent just as it was some 225 

million years ago.


Bravo, 4th graders, BRAVO!!


Pangaea.jpg     Madagascar.jpg

Mr. Casten
(April 12, 2013)

Copyrighted material of MIchael C. Casten

Comments

  1. Funny memories! I remember having kids trace another's on white paper if theirs was lost! MJ

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Looking Out

Looking Out Originally written May 27, 2015 Lightly edited for clarity in August 2026. Just hours ago, my students left. They are on their way to summer adventures, family time, and friends. Just as quickly as they walked into my life, they walked out again. Yet each of them will always be a part of my life. When a school year begins, my new students are just that—students. They arrive as a group, and at first there is little that distinguishes them beyond their physical appearance. They are quiet, reserved, and and still unknown to me. During those first few days, I snap a picture of each one, not yet knowing who they really are. I work to learn their names and match each one to a classroom number. I try to figure out who knows whom from the neighborhood. I share pieces of my own life, hoping they'll eventually share theirs. Time meanders on. Slowly, they begin to let their light shine. Slowly, they begin to share what's important to them. Slowly, I'm afforded the opportu...

Art & Science

     The familiar winds of autumn blew rapidly through the playground.   Ponytails flying, unzipped jackets flapping, and soaring playground balls all took errant paths.        Just as fall has briskly left so has trimester one.   Reports cards were sent home today and I plan on placing the final touches to each student’s conference narrative.   The practice of filling out the narrative for my students has become one of my favorite “at home” aspects of teaching.   I look forward to retreating to my little office in the basement, surrounded by the faint noises of my family upstairs, and writing.   I seem to enter into a world only my students and I really know; the life of Room 211 on a daily basis.       My mind pictures each student as I am writing about them.   Their faces make an entrance into my thoughts followed by the smile I see each day.   I travel back in t...

Running...

Running... Original post written on August 18, 2012. Minor changes for clarity made in Aug 2026. Twelve years. That's how long I have been teaching at Lincoln. Twelve years. That's how long I have taken the same route from my house to school. In that time I have seen many houses for sale, then sold. Some were torn down to make room for a new house, a new family, and new students. I've seen the streets that I traverse through Elmhurst being ripped apart and rebuilt to make them safer and more driver friendly, not to mention more car-friendly. Twelve years. I've seen high school kids standing on corners, waiting for the school bus to pick them up for school. Some of them recognize my car while others recognize me as their former teacher. Most of them, however, probably do not pay much attention to me as I pass by. Among all that I see, Monday through Friday mornings there is an unmistakable figure, usually two blocks ahead of me on Fairfield. He is a man. He has slightly ...