Skip to main content

"Umm...you forgot to grade this."

Fourth Grade is considered a "turning point grade" in the field of education.  It transitions a child from the primary level learning to the intermediate level.  With this transitions comes a host of changes; academically, socially, emotionally, & physically.

A social-emotional aspect that always presents itself revolves around responsibility and accountability.  The two "-abilities" that present the highest level of frustration, confusion, and stress for 9-10 year-olds in a school setting.

On Fridays the kids are given their "work from the week".  They have completed many assignments through the course of a week; grammar, spelling, morning work, science, social studies, test, quizzes, etc..  They like getting their packets of work.  Each Friday I can hear the flipping of pages at the end of the day as kids look at the work they produced.  Minor squeals of delight and moans of distress often accompany the mad rush through the papers.  

Last week a student approached me and politely said, "Umm, excuse me Mr. Casten, you forgot to grade my work."

"Let me see" I replied with concern.

The student showed me some of the work, homework mainly, and said, "See, you didn't mark it with the red pen or anything. You forgot to grade my work."

I stood, wondering what to say as I felt I had not done my job.  Then it quickly dawned on me.  The papers had actually been graded by the student...in class!  

"We graded it together, right?  Remember?" I said.  "I didn't mark on it because you already did!" I continued as I pointed out the marks the student had made.  

"Oh yeah.  I forgot.  cool.",  was the student's reply as they walked away looking at the pack of papers more slowly now...seemingly taking more time to notice what was actually written on them.

It was a moment of responsibility and accountability.  The student had been used to having someone else evaluate them.  They were used to receiving their work back with some kind of "grade" or indication of how they did...an external source of feedback.  

Fourth grade calls for the student to accept responsibility for their own work and the evaluation of it...at least in terms of homework and in-class work.  Of course, the teachers still grade quizzes and tests.  And of course, we still look at the homework and in-class work as it comes past our desks.  

The accountability on the students' part comes into play in that fact that their work has been graded...and the mistakes have been corrected...by the student. 

The combination of this type of responsibility and accountability make for a student who is poised to take more control of their learning.  From there, they learn the value of self-sufficiency and independence.

The student who thought that the work went without being "looked at", went without "being graded" seemed to let the world around them dissipate as they were engrossed in their work, their evaluation, their self.

Mr. Casten
Sept. 13, 2013

Copyrighted material of Michael C. Casten

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looking Out

Looking Out Originally written May 27, 2015 Lightly edited for clarity in August 2026. Just hours ago, my students left. They are on their way to summer adventures, family time, and friends. Just as quickly as they walked into my life, they walked out again. Yet each of them will always be a part of my life. When a school year begins, my new students are just that—students. They arrive as a group, and at first there is little that distinguishes them beyond their physical appearance. They are quiet, reserved, and and still unknown to me. During those first few days, I snap a picture of each one, not yet knowing who they really are. I work to learn their names and match each one to a classroom number. I try to figure out who knows whom from the neighborhood. I share pieces of my own life, hoping they'll eventually share theirs. Time meanders on. Slowly, they begin to let their light shine. Slowly, they begin to share what's important to them. Slowly, I'm afforded the opportu...

Art & Science

     The familiar winds of autumn blew rapidly through the playground.   Ponytails flying, unzipped jackets flapping, and soaring playground balls all took errant paths.        Just as fall has briskly left so has trimester one.   Reports cards were sent home today and I plan on placing the final touches to each student’s conference narrative.   The practice of filling out the narrative for my students has become one of my favorite “at home” aspects of teaching.   I look forward to retreating to my little office in the basement, surrounded by the faint noises of my family upstairs, and writing.   I seem to enter into a world only my students and I really know; the life of Room 211 on a daily basis.       My mind pictures each student as I am writing about them.   Their faces make an entrance into my thoughts followed by the smile I see each day.   I travel back in t...

Running...

Running... Original post written on August 18, 2012. Minor changes for clarity made in Aug 2026. Twelve years. That's how long I have been teaching at Lincoln. Twelve years. That's how long I have taken the same route from my house to school. In that time I have seen many houses for sale, then sold. Some were torn down to make room for a new house, a new family, and new students. I've seen the streets that I traverse through Elmhurst being ripped apart and rebuilt to make them safer and more driver friendly, not to mention more car-friendly. Twelve years. I've seen high school kids standing on corners, waiting for the school bus to pick them up for school. Some of them recognize my car while others recognize me as their former teacher. Most of them, however, probably do not pay much attention to me as I pass by. Among all that I see, Monday through Friday mornings there is an unmistakable figure, usually two blocks ahead of me on Fairfield. He is a man. He has slightly ...