Skip to main content

Paper Boats and a Book


Fourth Grade proved to be a bit of a challenge for me due to the fact that I attended three different schools that year.

Our family had moved to Steven's Point, WI the year prior...third grade was spent there. Right after the new school year started I went to McKinley School in Steven's Point for about 1 month of 4th Grade then we moved back to the Chicagoland Area. I found myself at Washington School in River Forest, IL. We were renting a house as we looked for a permanent residence. Three months later we moved across town and I once again found myself in a new school...Roosevelt School this time.

As I look back I can remember a small bit from McKinley, a little bit more from Washington, and a great deal more from Roosevelt. Each one, though, had its memories and each one had something to offer me as a student.

I can recall learning cursive writing in McKinley. We had worked on it the year prior but when I started 4th Grade they seemed to be more serious about it. Then we moved.

Washington School offered my first experience in cooperative learning. It was set up in the "open classroom" model where several grade levels were all on one floor, and there were no walls. I can remember working with many kids. The seeds of friendships were planted...then we moved.

Roosevelt School offered a place I finally called home. Seeds of friendship were planted and they grew, many are still fruitful to this day. Roosevelt School had one section of 4th Grade, so the kids knew each other well. My start was rough, in many ways, yet over time I assimilated into the world of my peers.

One thing that stands out as an academic memory from Roosevelt is being truly introduced to reading. I can remember that we had library time once a week and the librarian read to us and showed us things. Before then I wasn't much of a reader; maybe I didn't have the time what with all the moving around. In any case, reading for me consisted of what the teacher had me do during school hours.

Then one day the librarian read a story that I wasn't particularly interested in. I was finding it difficult to find books that intrigued me...basically I stopped looking on my own. After the story the librarian showed us how to make a paper boat and turn it into a t-shirt while telling a story about the captain of the 'boat" and how he was "lost at sea". This hands on story-telling got me...I was enthralled in the lesson.

When it became time to check-out books I mustered up the courage to ask the librarian if she could help me find something to read. She looked at me and said, "I've been waiting for you to ask me. I have just the book for you."

I was surprised that she had taken time out of her life to select a book for me before I even asked. I followed her across the library to a section that would soon become my second "school-home". The author of the thin book she pulled from the shelf was Donald J. Sobol. The book was, "Encyclopedia Brown." I had never heard of the series but didn't think I wanted to read an entire book. Little did I know that it was a compilation of short stories in mystery form...a detective type book. What captured me most was that the answer to each mystery was in the back. I loved trying to figure out the mystery; to figure out how the "villain" had messed up.

I returned to that very spot in the library time and again. I read all of the Encyclopedia Brown books in the library two or three times each. I escaped into the world of Idaville, Leroy Brown, Bug's Meany, Sally Kimball, Sweeney's Auto Body Shop, Chief Brown and the gasoline can that the towns' kids plopped down their 25 cents to hire Encyclopedia Brown to get them out of yet another jam.

To this day, one of my favorite things to do with my students, or any kids I work with, is to show them the paper boat/t-shirt folding and tell the captain story. And much to my delight, when the district adopted the Reading Street curriculum a few years, back the 4th Grade Reader had an Encyclopedia Brown selection in it! The week we read this story is one of my most favorite and nostalgic weeks of every year.

It's amazing to see how much my students enjoy the stories created by Donald J. Sobol...even to this day; some 30+ years after my discovery.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looking Out

Looking Out Originally written May 27, 2015 Lightly edited for clarity in August 2026. Just hours ago, my students left. They are on their way to summer adventures, family time, and friends. Just as quickly as they walked into my life, they walked out again. Yet each of them will always be a part of my life. When a school year begins, my new students are just that—students. They arrive as a group, and at first there is little that distinguishes them beyond their physical appearance. They are quiet, reserved, and and still unknown to me. During those first few days, I snap a picture of each one, not yet knowing who they really are. I work to learn their names and match each one to a classroom number. I try to figure out who knows whom from the neighborhood. I share pieces of my own life, hoping they'll eventually share theirs. Time meanders on. Slowly, they begin to let their light shine. Slowly, they begin to share what's important to them. Slowly, I'm afforded the opportu...

Art & Science

     The familiar winds of autumn blew rapidly through the playground.   Ponytails flying, unzipped jackets flapping, and soaring playground balls all took errant paths.        Just as fall has briskly left so has trimester one.   Reports cards were sent home today and I plan on placing the final touches to each student’s conference narrative.   The practice of filling out the narrative for my students has become one of my favorite “at home” aspects of teaching.   I look forward to retreating to my little office in the basement, surrounded by the faint noises of my family upstairs, and writing.   I seem to enter into a world only my students and I really know; the life of Room 211 on a daily basis.       My mind pictures each student as I am writing about them.   Their faces make an entrance into my thoughts followed by the smile I see each day.   I travel back in t...

Running...

Running... Original post written on August 18, 2012. Minor changes for clarity made in Aug 2026. Twelve years. That's how long I have been teaching at Lincoln. Twelve years. That's how long I have taken the same route from my house to school. In that time I have seen many houses for sale, then sold. Some were torn down to make room for a new house, a new family, and new students. I've seen the streets that I traverse through Elmhurst being ripped apart and rebuilt to make them safer and more driver friendly, not to mention more car-friendly. Twelve years. I've seen high school kids standing on corners, waiting for the school bus to pick them up for school. Some of them recognize my car while others recognize me as their former teacher. Most of them, however, probably do not pay much attention to me as I pass by. Among all that I see, Monday through Friday mornings there is an unmistakable figure, usually two blocks ahead of me on Fairfield. He is a man. He has slightly ...