I walk into my 14th year teaching walking into a new classroom (literally). The past 14 years of my teaching life have been spent on the second floor in the same room, Room 202. I now reside on the first floor, room 126.
Quite unexpectedly I have found a burst of novelty. Not only for the physical space in which I teach, but also in the teaching itself. A fresh perspective; from the scene outside my "new" window to the way my space is organized. The move allowed me to rid myself of items that I no longer used or needed, providing a cleaner, more organized look to my current classroom. Couple this novelty with the new school year and I find myself with an extra "spring in my step" as I cruise around the room as students work.
Then there are the students. New faces for me to pair with the names I've written and typed on so many documents thus far. As I was setting up my classroom, grade-book, and organizing the various aspects of the room I recognized some names from having their siblings in the past, others were new to my eyes, and still others were also familiar--but I never had the pleasure of teaching their siblings. The names come to life as I meet my new students. We enjoy the time we have now as we get to know one another, as personalities shine through, and as we embark on the business of learning.
The routines are being presented and practiced. My voice grows hoarse as I am speaking more than I have in the past two months. My feet are sore at the end of the day as I haven't worn my "school-shoes "all summer. My alarm clock now is the first sign of the new day each morning as it unfailingly wakes me so that I may prepare for another day of teaching.
My students are busy organizing themselves; figuring out their goals, finding the best way to set up their desks and lockers, and exploring the classroom, the rules, and their friendships. They play the most important role in this building...a role that requires determination, focus, strength, and stamina. They endure & experience disappointment, excitement, mistakes, and successes. They takes risks daily as they are asked to push their minds to the limits...seeking that elusive answer and the process that gets them there.
So as I can say I miss my old room for what it was, what it taught me, and more importantly, for the people who shared it with me...I can also say that I am looking forward to this school year with a quiet confidence elicited by all that is new.
Mr. Casten
August 22, 2014
Copyrighted material of Michael C. Casten
Comments
Post a Comment