Mastering the art of reading can be a lifelong endeavor. Some people love to read while others prefer alternate ways to nourish their desire for a good story. Either way, school provides students with a host of opportunities to experiment with the written word.
Teaching students to read is a complex task. By the time kids reach fourth grade they are reading and the focus shifts from “learning how to read” to “reading to learn”.
Comprehension. An all-encompassing concept designed to elicit responses to reading in a variety of ways. Students spend much time sorting out main ideas from details, analyzing inferences, delineating fact from fiction, determining cause and effect, critically thinking about author’s purpose, and figuring out how to summarize effectively, among other skills and strategies. It’s a tall order for kids…I’ve seen all kinds over the 14 years I’ve taught, both on an individual basis and as classes.
Throughout a school year I look at individual performance as well as classroom (as a whole) performance. I track progress, find ways to help, and provide appropriate instruction and support. One of the first things I accomplish within the first six weeks of school is to determine the class’s “relationship” with reading.
This year is no different. Well…maybe just a bit. You see, I have noticed that this group, as a whole, has a wonderful relationship with reading. They truly enjoy their books. And not only their books; I’ve noticed they enjoy the classroom book (Reading Street) as well.
How do I know this, what have I seen?
As I’ve always practiced, when students are finished with an assignment ahead of others, they are to either work on some other unfinished work, silent write, or silent read. Invariably many kids this year choose to silent read, many more than any other year. When I read-aloud to them, they beg for more. When we sit and have discussions about common text we’ve read, they are engaged, inquisitive, and genuinely interested (most of this time). They analyze characters and events; seek proof for their answers, and ask for help when they don’t understand.
They are well on their way to being life-long readers; they are, if not already, developing a love for the written word. As they progress through their schooling, one can only hope the relationship being fostered develops, blossoms, and brings them joy.
Mr. Casten
Sept. 26, 2014
Copyrighted material of Michael C. Casten
Comments
Post a Comment