Behaviors are a peculiar thing. They often surprise us, too. Kids can go from one extreme to another in a matter of minutes. They are testing the boundaries, trying to get a handle on how to navigate the world we’ve placed before them. They take cues from the adults in their lives, the celebrities that they watch, and each other.
Being in a classroom presents an environment that allows for all three influences to play a role in daily behaviors. It’s not uncommon to see children mimicking celebrities, talking about their family life and the rules & expectations they must follow at home, and some even pretending to be the teacher.
Day in and day out kids, like adults, have to make choices about their behaviors. They often are in conflict of whether to follow their instincts, follow authority figure expectations, or to stay “cool” in the eyes of their peers. Sometimes they make good choices and sometimes they do not.
This week, a group of students found themselves acting up a bit…not uncommon or even unexpected… par for the course if you will; the natural order of things. I see these times as opportunities. I see them as opportune times for me to teach…opportune times for kids to learn. Upon completion of the “behavior lesson” something extraordinary happened. Each of the students who were involved in the misbehavior approached me individually and sincerely apologized for their behavior. Each apology was unprompted. It took me pleasantly by surprise yet helped me to see that they cared about what they learned from their misbehavior…it wasn’t for naught.
Behaviors often surprise us, don’t they?
The next day I was absent as I was taking care of my own children. Naturally there was a substitute in the classroom. As per usual the substitute left a note about the kids’ behavior. She wrote a wonderful report. Of course, that was my expectation for my students…I expect nothing less. I went about my normal morning routine, which includes reading the students’ journal entries called ”Dear Mr. C”…a weekly journal entry that each student completes where they write to me personally and I respond. I sat down at my desk and opened the first one from the day before; the day I was absent:
"Dear Mr. C,
Mrs. D is a really nice and gentle substitute. She makes everything fun just like you. She understands everything we say and helps us easily. I'm glad she's our substitute. She knows how to quiet us down when we get too loud right away, and she knows exactly when we are too loud. I hope to see her again."
Mrs. D is a really nice and gentle substitute. She makes everything fun just like you. She understands everything we say and helps us easily. I'm glad she's our substitute. She knows how to quiet us down when we get too loud right away, and she knows exactly when we are too loud. I hope to see her again."
I shared this with the sub who greatly appreciated it. I also wrote back to the student…thanking them for being a great kid and student.
Behaviors often surprise us, don’t they?
Mr. Casten
Nov. 14, 2014
Copyrighted material of Michael C. Casten
Comments
Post a Comment