Sometimes I wonder.
I have thoughts about what the world will be like
for my students when they grow up. I’ve
had fourteen classes (including this year) and when I reach back to my first
year of teaching I realize that the world was much different when I walked into
the classroom in late August, 2001 than what it is now. The students I had back then are in their
early twenties today. The world they currently
live in is vastly different from when they were fourth graders. Technology has advanced exponentially,
education has shifted dramatically, wars have been fought, leaders have come
and gone, medical science has advanced, and people are more connected to one
another as well to events of the world like never before.
Sometimes I wish.
I often find myself seeking answers to questions that
can only be answered by time. I attempt
to mentally play out the future the way I think it’s going to proceed knowing
full well that the future is to be left to itself; and that the present time is
what’s most important. It’s the teacher
in me, I suppose…planning lessons, predicting outcomes, preparing for multiple
scenarios and knowing all along that some of the best lessons are the ones that
come from some semblance of spontaneity.
I wish I could reach into the future to help prepare my student for
it…but alas to no avail.
Sometimes I wait.
In my early years as a teacher I often wanted things
to move quickly. Most likely I was
robbing, from my students, the time needed to formulate answers. I’ve learned over the years that learning is
truly a process of experiences, patience, and perseverance. Today I step back more often, allowing the
natural flow of learning take command, releasing responsibility to my students,
and knowing that the present moment is the only one that really matters as they
grow.
To wonder, wish, and wait.
A teaching philosophy that is becoming part of me as
an educator; and as I engage in these processes, I still can’t help but imagine
what the future holds for the young people I teach today. What will they confront? How will they fare? Who will they be?
Comments
Post a Comment