A Corner Turned
As I taught this week I was reminded that in every relationship there are corners to turn. We never know what lies around the bend, yet we face it together. Several times this week my students, during lessons, found new& easier ways to solve the problems at hand. They felt comfortable speaking their minds and exploring their options.
Comfortable taking the risk. Often, what they came up with was new to me as well. I felt empowered; for I, as their teacher, learned something from them for a change. It feels good to learn; to understand; to see the world in a slightly different way.
I realized that my students are turning a corner. A corner of maturity and self-confidence. A corner of not simply memorizing or repeating what has been taught, but really thinking about the ideas, applying themselves, and taking a risk. They are turning the corner and meeting the the next step in their education--how to learn and grow academically.
I also realized that all of us turn corners throughout our lives. Sometimes we turn them by ourselves, with family, friends or even strangers. Despite who accompanies us, when we take that turn we grow within ourselves, for ourselves, and with the world.
To fully appreciate the turns taken in our lives and the lives of others, keep tabs on the past as well~~know from whence you came and never forget those who helped you to your next corner...and always seek to help another as they turn their corners.
Mr. Casten
April 8, 2011
Copyrighted material of Michael C. Casten
Comments
Post a Comment