The Walking Talk
This may sound like a redundant part of my day yet I tell you it is not. I rarely walk the playground alone. I am accompanied by kids; sometimes one child, sometimes a small group. They walk with me. They talk with me.
I have learned so very much about children in general from these "walking talks" and more so I have learned much about individual children. The questions they ask, the answers they give, the thoughts they express.
In all, I must say that the imaginations and sincerity of children is what shines through at these times. While engaged in our "walking talks" I see who they truly are. I hear their stories, their dreams, and their ideas. I listen to their tragedies and answer their questions for understanding. I lose the fact that I am their teacher and they are my student(s) and we find ourselves relating simply as human beings.
Children seek. They seek understanding from adults. They seek our encouragement, our acceptance, and our time.
Take a walk with your child.
Talk with your child.
Better yet, take a "walking talk" with your child. They can show much about who they truly are.
Mr. Casten
April 15, 2011
Comments
Post a Comment