Developed over many years, writing has become a passion of mine. It allows me to express myself in ways I would otherwise be pressed to accomplish. I can let the thoughts that lurk in the corners of my mind find their way to the outside world. The development continues as I reach out to different pathways of delivering my thoughts from their dwelling place to my readers.
When I teach writing in my 4th grade classroom I feel alive. I thrill in lessons that bring out the best in my students. I get excited when they learn new ways to express themselves. The rewards of the well written word from students can compare to very little.
This week I had my students working on several papers. We had the time and the motivation. One of the papers was a friendly letter to their parents that was to be read by the parents on Parent Information Night. I have had this as an assignment for many years now and I always wondered if my kids would ever write me a letter when they were in school. This year, however, I wondered what I would say if I wrote my parents. My mother passed away in 2008 at the age of 86 and my father, now 81, is still alive. Nonetheless, if I were to write them a letter that they would find on my desk in Room 202, it might go something like this:
Dear Ma and Pops,
I've just begun my 11th year as a teacher and I am thrilled that you have come to see my room. I hope as you look around you see the influence you have both had on me as I was growing up. It's my turn now to teach.
My students this year have shown themselves to be exceptional people and workers who persevere. They follow directions well, care for one another, and take care of their classroom. They are a bright group of kids and seem to have a love of learning that every teacher looks for in their students. I think this is going to be a grand year.
I appreciate all that you have done for me in my life. You raised me with values that have allowed me to draw people who are loving, caring and special into my life. You have given me experiences that have made me stronger for having gone through them. You showed me compassion, discipline and unconditional love. I think of you often.
I hope that whatever experiences you are having while we are apart from each other continue to be ones that bring you peace.
Love,
Michael
The written word is a powerful phenomenon of the human experience. It can be used to harm or heal, bring joy or tears, find meaning and questions. The beauty of the word on paper is that it is eternal in that once your reader takes it into their minds, it stays forever and helps shape who they truly are.
Mr. Casten
Sept. 2, 2011
Comments
Post a Comment