My students are asked to write in their journals every morning when they arrive at school. It’s an exercise that allows them to put down on paper what is happening in their lives. There are four different entries a student can make. Each day they are asked to make one of the four entries based on the group they are part of (there are four groups of six determined by their "location" on my class list: students 1-6, 7-12, 13-18, and 19-24). The entries include: Home, School, Dear Mr. C, and Free Write.
The Home entry is an opportunity for them to write about what's going on at home; same with the school entry (what's happening at school). The Dear Mr. C entry is the time they write directly to me (they turn in their journal on their "Dear Mr. C" day); and the Free Write is just that--a time to write about anything.
The journaling typically lasts 10 minutes. Not for this group though.
This group takes the better part of 25 - 30 minutes. They write wonderful entries about their lives, their experiences, and their feelings. They create dynamic stories, creative characters, and entertaining spins on life during their free write. They write to me and ask me all kinds of questions while sharing their own thoughts about how they might answer some of those questions.
Dear Mr. C. The best part of my morning, before school starts, is taking the six journals from the little basket they are waiting in for me and finding the bookmarked page titled and dated. I read the note aimed directly at me and chuckle at the humor placed on the paper, or stop and think about the pressing question that has been posed. I am reminded to do things (like move desks) and am either complained to or complimented on something that occurred recently. After reading the entry, I click my pen open and write back to the author...addressing what they have started; letting them know that I "hear" them. I sign my "Mr. C" with a squiggly line underneath and move on to the next journal. When I have finished the six journals I place them back on the students' desk so that they can come in that morning and write their next entry.
The idea behind journaling is to get your thoughts down on paper in a way that is safe, satisfying and productive so that the day can begin fresh. I read a lot of what happens to kids, I've read much over the past years at Lincoln...I feel that I am connected to my students when I read what they have written~~and I hope they, too, feel a connection when they read my responses.
Copyrighted material of Michael C. Casten
The Home entry is an opportunity for them to write about what's going on at home; same with the school entry (what's happening at school). The Dear Mr. C entry is the time they write directly to me (they turn in their journal on their "Dear Mr. C" day); and the Free Write is just that--a time to write about anything.
The journaling typically lasts 10 minutes. Not for this group though.
This group takes the better part of 25 - 30 minutes. They write wonderful entries about their lives, their experiences, and their feelings. They create dynamic stories, creative characters, and entertaining spins on life during their free write. They write to me and ask me all kinds of questions while sharing their own thoughts about how they might answer some of those questions.
Dear Mr. C. The best part of my morning, before school starts, is taking the six journals from the little basket they are waiting in for me and finding the bookmarked page titled and dated. I read the note aimed directly at me and chuckle at the humor placed on the paper, or stop and think about the pressing question that has been posed. I am reminded to do things (like move desks) and am either complained to or complimented on something that occurred recently. After reading the entry, I click my pen open and write back to the author...addressing what they have started; letting them know that I "hear" them. I sign my "Mr. C" with a squiggly line underneath and move on to the next journal. When I have finished the six journals I place them back on the students' desk so that they can come in that morning and write their next entry.
The idea behind journaling is to get your thoughts down on paper in a way that is safe, satisfying and productive so that the day can begin fresh. I read a lot of what happens to kids, I've read much over the past years at Lincoln...I feel that I am connected to my students when I read what they have written~~and I hope they, too, feel a connection when they read my responses.
Mr. Casten
Sept. 23, 2011
Comments
Post a Comment