The first six weeks of school are the most important in terms of forging a path that will lead us to the goals set forth...namely being successful in 4th grade. It’s in these critical six weeks that routines are established, personalities are expressed, opinions are formed, and learning styles are reflected. From there we begin to cement our days in the routines that we have established...yet the cement never really dries. We have to have some room to wiggle; to break free from the constancy of a routine. This brings spice to the life of a classroom.
Now that we have well passed the six-week mark and are looking to parent-teacher conferences, I must look back on what we, as a class, have agreed upon for ourselves and make an evaluation on how well each child has contributed to our goal thus far. It's a task that I enjoy. It allows me to see where we started, where we say we want to be, and where we stand right now. It allows me to think deeply about each student...their strengths and weaknesses, their goals and aspirations, their determination and their successes. It becomes an adventure that brings me closer to knowing my students as people first, student second.
The consistency that they have shown as a group in their day to day tasks, our routines, and our relationships has been nothing short of fantastic. A "well oiled machine" is what we are working on and to date, we have a pretty good start. There will be areas in which we need to continue to work on, area that the group and individuals need to pay closer attention to, areas where practice, encouragement, and dedication will be the tools employed.
I look forward to wrapping up the first trimester only because it means I get to witness further growth and success...I can only hope my students feel the same way.
Mr. Casten
Oct. 28, 2011
Comments
Post a Comment