This is one of the teaching philosophies I impart to my students. I have found over the years, however, that simply telling them this is not enough. In order for them to understand what I am trying to tell them they need to experience it for themselves...this falls into line with all learning~~experience is the best teacher.
Over the years I have developed a "plan of action". A way for experience to teach my students the "rules for work". It is delivered without emotion and usually with a slight smile...
The rules for work are quite simple in my classroom. They are quite logical as well; something that kids gravitate to in terms of "rules" and 'regulations".
When given an assignment to complete in school the following will always hold true.
- If you are working hard and making progress, you can always get more time to complete the assignment.
- If you are fooling around then my assumptions are as follows:
- You must be finished OR
- You have been allowed too much time to finish the assignment
- Either way--the assignment is due at the end of the "subject period" and will be graded as is.
My current group of students have a superior work ethic, especially for a roomful of 4th graders. The opportunity for distraction, fooling around, and getting off-task is always there yet they seem to have a focus about them that keeps them on track.
I have found they work well together, they respect each other, they know each other. I have found that they rely on each other and depend on one another. They have accomplished the many tasks that have been placed before them and accomplished them well. They learn easily and happily while they apply what they have learned.
Having a group of kids that demonstrate the aforementioned learning qualities allows for experience to be the greatest teacher...and aligns beautifully with the philosophy that I walked into the classroom with in 2001 and still hold fast to today:
I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand.
Mr. Casten
Oct. 21, 2011
Copyrighted material of Michael C. Casten
Comments
Post a Comment