I drove to work this morning at just about the same time as
I always do…between 6:30 and 7:00am. The
roads were different this morning. It
seemed as though everyone was just a touch more polite; a tad more gracious; a
bit more forgiving.
September 11th, 2001 remains in the hearts and
minds of so many. The common
thread of 9.11 weaves its way through, around, and between us all. During stop lights I would look to my right
and left at the other drivers. Most
other days I would see people talking on their phones; either hand-held or
through their Bluetooth. I would see
people singing along with their music or they themselves glancing around at the
other drivers next to them. This
morning, however, I saw none of that.
Every person I saw this morning was strangely silent in their car. Their faces showed thoughtfulness. Their expressions were placid. Their demeanor's were peaceful.
The common thread seemed to halt people from running the
yellow light; stopped them from tail-gating, and prompted them to use their
turn signals for both turning and lane changes.
The speed limit was easily adhered to and patience, when starting to go
after waiting for the red to change to green, was practiced.
This common thread is always present yet often unnoticed. On this morn I felt that it was strengthened
by the memories of that day 11 years ago; strengthened by the life force of
those whom we lost.
I find myself occasionally thinking about 9.11 on other days
apart from the anniversary date. My
thoughts wander to those in the buildings.
Workers, rescuers. My body grows
cold and my stomach tightens up. My
heart tells my mind to stop yet my mind pursues the thoughts. I release the resistance and allow myself to imagine
what it was like in those buildings and planes…the thoughts flow and run their
course. Everything seems pointless and
desolate. The daily problems of life are
swallowed up by the heat, flames, and desecration I have conjured up in my mind. When my mind has spun its last image and my
heart can take no more…I free myself from the tragedy that, in some way or
another, haunts each of us.
It’s a beautiful day here in Chicago on this 11th
of September, 2012. Much like it was 11
years ago. Much has happened in life
since that time. In some ways, my own
Twin Towers have been toppled in a heap of twisted emotions and physical
strains. During that time 11 years ago the
spirit of goodness, the soul of graciousness, and the light of hope shone
through for days and weeks following the demise of The World Trade Center. That same Spirit, that One soul, and that
perfect Light is what will guide my life into the way things are to be…they
will become the common thread that holds me together with humanity…inseparable
and undivided.
I wonder what traffic will be like tomorrow morning?

Comments
Post a Comment