Skip to main content

What's Within

Each child has one.  They all carry one around with them.  Sometimes they take it out during school; sometimes it finds its way out at home.  There are times when the child tries yet cannot find it.  There are times when it shows up in the most unexpected places.  When pushed to extract it, they often resist.  When encouraged to experiment with it, they often oblige.  It what's inside all of them...all of us, for that matter.

The inner writer.

We spent a week with Lincoln School's beloved poet, Bill Buczinsky.  A man after the writings of a child's heart.  A man with exuberance, skill, talent, and energy.  He lights up the school with words, sparking the writer in each of our students.  He brings to the table a pencil and paper, mixes in some words, and dabbles with meaning.  He throws around metaphors while delivering the idioms, and he does it with fervor and a passion that's unmistakable.

My students'  inner writers came forth.  They engaged in the content, immersed themselves in the lessons, and proudly took up the challenge.  They orchestrated free verse and tackled Haiku.  They explored nouns and adjective, verbs and adverbs.  They danced with sentence fragments and were told it was ok.

Each year when Bill leaves, the magic he brings leaves with him.  There always is, however, a smattering of that magic that lingers behind...finding its way to the hearts and minds of those left behind with it.  It's awe-inspiring to witness the invisible magic work its way into the inner writer of each of my students.  It becomes part of them and they are better off for having spent the week completely engrossed in the "power of the poet".

Each child has one.  An inner writer that is always capable of bursting forth and expressing the inner thoughts, feelings, aspirations, and inspirations of its host.

Each child has one.  Ours is the task to invite that inner writer to come forth.

Thanks Bill, for a week that brought the inner writers out; and for letting so many see the beauty in the written word.

Mr. Casten
Sept. 14, 2012

You can visit Bill Buczinsky's website at:

Copyrighted material of Michael C. Casten

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looking Out

Looking Out Originally written May 27, 2015 Lightly edited for clarity in August 2026. Just hours ago, my students left. They are on their way to summer adventures, family time, and friends. Just as quickly as they walked into my life, they walked out again. Yet each of them will always be a part of my life. When a school year begins, my new students are just that—students. They arrive as a group, and at first there is little that distinguishes them beyond their physical appearance. They are quiet, reserved, and and still unknown to me. During those first few days, I snap a picture of each one, not yet knowing who they really are. I work to learn their names and match each one to a classroom number. I try to figure out who knows whom from the neighborhood. I share pieces of my own life, hoping they'll eventually share theirs. Time meanders on. Slowly, they begin to let their light shine. Slowly, they begin to share what's important to them. Slowly, I'm afforded the opportu...

Art & Science

     The familiar winds of autumn blew rapidly through the playground.   Ponytails flying, unzipped jackets flapping, and soaring playground balls all took errant paths.        Just as fall has briskly left so has trimester one.   Reports cards were sent home today and I plan on placing the final touches to each student’s conference narrative.   The practice of filling out the narrative for my students has become one of my favorite “at home” aspects of teaching.   I look forward to retreating to my little office in the basement, surrounded by the faint noises of my family upstairs, and writing.   I seem to enter into a world only my students and I really know; the life of Room 211 on a daily basis.       My mind pictures each student as I am writing about them.   Their faces make an entrance into my thoughts followed by the smile I see each day.   I travel back in t...

Running...

Running... Original post written on August 18, 2012. Minor changes for clarity made in Aug 2026. Twelve years. That's how long I have been teaching at Lincoln. Twelve years. That's how long I have taken the same route from my house to school. In that time I have seen many houses for sale, then sold. Some were torn down to make room for a new house, a new family, and new students. I've seen the streets that I traverse through Elmhurst being ripped apart and rebuilt to make them safer and more driver friendly, not to mention more car-friendly. Twelve years. I've seen high school kids standing on corners, waiting for the school bus to pick them up for school. Some of them recognize my car while others recognize me as their former teacher. Most of them, however, probably do not pay much attention to me as I pass by. Among all that I see, Monday through Friday mornings there is an unmistakable figure, usually two blocks ahead of me on Fairfield. He is a man. He has slightly ...