Child to Child
I watched in amazement how two of my students interacted this week. It reminded me of my own kids. You see, sometimes my 2-year old son will turn a deaf ear to me when I need him to do something; yet when our 3-year old daughter steps in, he listens. It's almost as if they are in their own little world; communicating in some "kid" language that we, as adults, have long forgotten.
I noticed the same thing in my classroom this week. I was struggling to get something across to one of my students. I just wasn't making the connection I needed to make. Another student of mine, who was right by us, stepped in and like magic, the child-to-child connection manifested itself. I sat back and watched the two interact in a way that was so utterly natural for them. The first smiled as the second explained what needed to be done. The second sounded so mature in their speaking yet maintained a connection with the first that superseded that maturity. A connection that, as an adult, I have long forgotten how to establish.
At least I thought I forgot.
Later in the week, I witnessed the same exchange between the same two students. I watched closer this time---ignoring the words being spoken and focusing on the delivery.
There it was--the delivery.
Smiling eyes met and a gentle voice ensued. A aura of cooperation was instantly felt between them and laughter was present. Heart-felt praise was given and respect for each other was demonstrated. All of this happened in a matter of 2 minutes. The idea was conveyed and the first child was all the better, as was the second.
And of course, so was I. For my students (and my own kids) just taught me something.
Mr. Casten
Oct. 8, 2010
Comments
Post a Comment