Gift...
I received a gift to the Kohl Children's Museum (in Glenview) from a family of a student I taught this year. My wife, two children and I visited it over the Memorial Day weekend. The parent (who worked there) met us in the lobby and explained much of what the museum was all about. I asked him his role there and he replied, without missing a beat, that his "gift" was making sure certain employees were comforatble and secure in their positions in the company..
His gift.
I was intrigued by his choice of words, "his gift". We continued to talk. After a bit, he returned to his work and we returned to our play. My two children, Ava and Henry, found an exhibit that instilled awe in them. Through a variety of devices (hand pumps, pedals and buttons) they were able to inflate very large cylinder-like balloons all the way up to the ceiling. The "cause-and-effect" concept grabbed them and wouldn't let go. They loved exerting their new found "power".
Gifts and power.
We all have gifts. We all have power. The trick is to balance the two. To bring them to the forefront of our lives in a way that benefits all.
Our children are constantly challenging themselves to find their gift. They seek power in so many ways. They are, in the purest sense, wondrous works of beauty that are constantly changing; growing; experiencing; discovering.
Working with your children over the past nine months has allowed me to change, grow, experience and discover as well. They are exceptional children, both as individuals and as a group. It was simply my pleasure to teach them.
I wish only the very best for each of them; that they might find their gift, share it with others while feeling a sense of beneficial power in doing so. A power that neither diminishes or punishes, but one that brings out the best in all.
My time in the classroom has come to an end with this group. The gifts that we shared over the past 9 months will never end. For they--the gifts themselves--are full of a power that traverses time and space.
This group will forever be with me.
Mr. Casten
June 1, 2010
Comments
Post a Comment