Skip to main content

Through the Eyes of a Child...12.4.09

Through the eyes of a child~~
I was cleaning up the classroom the other day and found a piece of paper (among other things) on the floor.  It was a sheet that the kids use as a guide for Reading Stations and, as par for the course, it had some doodling and writing on it. One of the little writings caught my eye as it was written sideways on the paper. It read, "Christmas through the eyes of a child".  It caused me to stop and think...what a wonderful time of magic and excitement for children.
I thought of my own children, Ava and Henry.  While Henry is still too young to understand Christmas he certainly feels the presence of it as it surrounds him.  Ava, on the other hand, is delighting in the wonderment of the season.  I think to myself, what an incredible thing to share with other people for the first time in their lives.
My thoughts then drifted to the past.  To a time when I was about the same age as my students.  I can recall walking through the snow on a dark and stormy night, looking up at the street lights as snow rushed past their illumination.  I quickly ducked my chin back into my jacket to keep the wind and snow from beating on my cheeks.  I trudged through the snow to buy gifts for my family with the few dollars I had.
Christmas Eve of that year I was determined to stay up to see Santa.  I camped out on the living room couch after everyone else had fallen asleep.  I waited.  I waited some more.  I began to get nervous that maybe he wouldn't come.  I fell asleep.  When I awoke, special presents were given to me with tags saying, "From Santa" on them.  I remember it as if it were yesterday.
Today, as I was walking the students up to the room in the morning, one of them said to me (regarding Santa), "If you don't believe, you don't receive."  What a profound statement from a child during a season that often allows us to forget the real reason for the celebration.
When I found that piece of paper earlier in the week and the writing on it, I thought that it was referring only to the glitter and brilliance that accompanies the season, as well as the presents and goodies--maybe it was---maybe it wasn't.  But my thoughts about the night 30+ years ago certainly revolved around these things until I had the short, magical conversation with that one child while walking to class.  The season is about belief...about hope...about love.
Now that I look back on the night I stayed up some 30+ years ago, I think more about the feeling I had.  The feeling of me wishing that something as magical as Santa would happen and I might be able to witness it...little did I know then that I really did witness something magical, despite not seeing him~~and I do so every day of the year.  
Through the eyes of a child~~believe.
Mr. C
Dec. 4, 2009

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looking Out

Looking Out Originally written May 27, 2015 Lightly edited for clarity in August 2026. Just hours ago, my students left. They are on their way to summer adventures, family time, and friends. Just as quickly as they walked into my life, they walked out again. Yet each of them will always be a part of my life. When a school year begins, my new students are just that—students. They arrive as a group, and at first there is little that distinguishes them beyond their physical appearance. They are quiet, reserved, and and still unknown to me. During those first few days, I snap a picture of each one, not yet knowing who they really are. I work to learn their names and match each one to a classroom number. I try to figure out who knows whom from the neighborhood. I share pieces of my own life, hoping they'll eventually share theirs. Time meanders on. Slowly, they begin to let their light shine. Slowly, they begin to share what's important to them. Slowly, I'm afforded the opportu...

Art & Science

     The familiar winds of autumn blew rapidly through the playground.   Ponytails flying, unzipped jackets flapping, and soaring playground balls all took errant paths.        Just as fall has briskly left so has trimester one.   Reports cards were sent home today and I plan on placing the final touches to each student’s conference narrative.   The practice of filling out the narrative for my students has become one of my favorite “at home” aspects of teaching.   I look forward to retreating to my little office in the basement, surrounded by the faint noises of my family upstairs, and writing.   I seem to enter into a world only my students and I really know; the life of Room 211 on a daily basis.       My mind pictures each student as I am writing about them.   Their faces make an entrance into my thoughts followed by the smile I see each day.   I travel back in t...

Running...

Running... Original post written on August 18, 2012. Minor changes for clarity made in Aug 2026. Twelve years. That's how long I have been teaching at Lincoln. Twelve years. That's how long I have taken the same route from my house to school. In that time I have seen many houses for sale, then sold. Some were torn down to make room for a new house, a new family, and new students. I've seen the streets that I traverse through Elmhurst being ripped apart and rebuilt to make them safer and more driver friendly, not to mention more car-friendly. Twelve years. I've seen high school kids standing on corners, waiting for the school bus to pick them up for school. Some of them recognize my car while others recognize me as their former teacher. Most of them, however, probably do not pay much attention to me as I pass by. Among all that I see, Monday through Friday mornings there is an unmistakable figure, usually two blocks ahead of me on Fairfield. He is a man. He has slightly ...